Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days
Short Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
Our classic Salkantay Hiking Trips 4 Days is an alternative to the traditional Inca Trail. The Sacred path is a cutting edge experience for adventure travelers looking for a little more privacy and authenticity. With more spectacular views, the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu offers a quiet and rich contemplation of nature.
In this journey you will trek from 3,900m/12,800ft to 2,100m/6,900ft, traversing across magnificent mountain passes, enjoying enormous and mystical snow-capped peaks, seeing nature in its purest form and exploring more than 15 different ecosystems from beginning to end. Moreover, the chances for ethnic and cultural exchange are omnipresentwhile meeting local natives who still remain closely attached to their heritage and are very willing to share it with open minds.
This trek is a unique opportunity to experience ancient history in the land of the Incas, contemporary manifestations of deep-founded culture, the most interesting and exotic variety of flora and fauna, culinary surprises, the determination of local people to progress while preserving their ancestral heritage, without even mentioning the opportunity to meet new friends and like-minded souls.
Overview Salkantay Treks to Machu Picchu
- Highlight: Hiking alongside the magnificent Apu Salkantay and then arriving at the ruins of Machu Picchu
- Location: The Salkantay trek begins 3 hours driving to the west of Cusco, Peru. We pass the village of Mollepata and begin hiking at Marcocasa.
- Duration: 4 days/ 3 nights
- Level: Moderate to Challenging
- Adventure Rating: Given the new restrictions on the Inca trail, Salkantay is the second most popular hike in the region and some of the campsites are less remote than on other trails.
- Modality: Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural
- Altitude: 2,800 masl to 4,650 masl
- Inca Trail alternative: Yes, the Salkantay trek is an excellent option.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures
- All private service departure dates are adapted to your request
DAY 1: CUSCO - MOLLEPATA – CHALLACANCHA - SORAYPAMPA
We start to pick up you from the hotel around 05:00 am, the bus driving taking 4 hours to Anta – Mollepata through the bus is clearly to see the white snowcapped mountain like Salkantay and Humantay the holy Gods of the Incas, the spectacular scenic on the upper part and lower valleys with colorful landscape. Two hours driving at head the first stop in Mollepata town there are toilet facilities, souvenirs and optional short breakfast, to soon continue at Challacancha the trail head. There we will meet with our support staff. There we will organize all the equipment, horses and mules. Around 9:30 a.m. we will star our trek to Soraypampa (3900 m.a.s.l) the first section of the path are paved rock trail there are the old water channel still supply to new habitants, the begin is 9 km in 3 hours to Soraypampa the lunch place as well base camp, after lunch and nap to continued hiking up to the Humantay lake (4200masl) 5 km in 3 hours round trip, bottom the glacier the most spectacular views to the back ground valley and sunset, Soraypampa is located on the middle of the glaciers valleys at night clear appreciate the constellation on the sky.
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner.
- Maximum Altitude: 3850 masl.
- Minimum Altitude: 2850 masl.
- Hiking distance: 14 km approx.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA - SALKANTAY PASS - HUAYRAMACHAY – CHAULLAY
Early wake up with the first daylight at 05:00 am to packing the staff, breakfast and soon to start hiking up to the highest point of the trail Salkantay Pass (4650 masl – 15,255 ft) the distance is 7 km in 3 hours, on the ascent through the between the rocky valley bottom the magnificent Salkantay Mountay (6200 masl – 20,341 ft). We reach the top of the trek. We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay, humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo, Salkantay is considerate the second highest mountain of the Cusco region and one of the Incas God called “Apu”. Get the top is the most ancient time on the trek, 2 hours downhill on the serpent trail and gravel rocky path to get Huayracmachay lunch spot, on the afternoon entrance to the upper part of the amazone jungle as well called “cloud forest” 9 km in 3 hours on the wide trail in the thick forest are decorate the hills with colorful sceneries and the wild life and native plant, mostly of the year weather is warmed and temperate to finally arrived to Chaullay Village (2900 masl – 9,514 ft) the base camp into the jungle.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
- Overnight: Hotel en Aguas Calientes
- Maximum Altitude: 2900 masl.
- Minimum Altitude: 1600 masl.
- Hiking distance: 20km to Chaullay.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY - LA PLAYA - SANTA TERESA - HYDROELECTRIC - AGUAS CALIENTES
Around 6:00 am; we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We will hike 6 hours approximately during the hike will see: water fall, orchids, coffee, banana, avocado plantations and we will taste the famous passion fruit or granadilla and also we will see a village call COLPAPAMPA also call the “forest cloudy brow” where waterfalls, thermal hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks”. After lunch at La playa, we will catch a local transportation to HIDROELECTRICA train station. Here we have two options if you are exhausted you may take a train to AGUAS CALIENTES. Or you may walk from HIDROELECTRICA to AGUAS CALIENTES town about 3 hours along the train track. Once in AGUAS CALIENTES town; we are going to the accommodation which is included in the tour then by 7:00 we will have dinner at the local restaurant. This is cover by the company. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Overnight: in AGUAS CALIENTES at the hotel which included in the package.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
- Overnight: Santa Teresa “cola de mono campsite” in the tents.
- Maximum Altitude: 2920 masl.
- Minimum Altitude: 1600 masl.
- Hiking distance: 26km approx.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
The ancient day on the Trek, early wake up on the hotel is better for visit Machupicchu, We suggestion start early visit Machupicchu the check point is open from (6:00 am until 17:00 pm) optional going up by bus or foot, on the morning look empty the city with less tourist the first 2 hours guiding tour in the City, (temples, palaces, priest house, sundial, industrial sector and farming fields) after that is start your free time to climbing up to Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu mountain (book in advance to get your ticket) both mountains hiking time taking 3 hours approx. or trekking to the sun gate the main entrance of the Inka Trail, therefore you’ll stay and enjoy the city for more than 7 hours on the afternoon We organized the train (18:30 pm) back form Aguas calientes to Ollantaytambo and then bus driving to Cusco to arrive at 20:00 pm approx. the bus drops you off at your hotel in Cusco.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure briefing at the office in Cusco
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Marcocasa .
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Pro Aconcagua and Rei 4 Outfitter tents are employed when double accommodation is requested.
- One sleeping pad per person.
- 1 Blanket. Or Liner.
- One pillow per person.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Kitchen tent
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide (2 guides for groups of over 10 people)
- 1 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment) – days 1 to 4
- Pack animals to carry personal gear up to a maximum of 7kg per person (including sleeping pad and sleeping bag) – days 1 to 4
- 1 emergency horse every 8 persons – days 1 to 3
- Accommodation for all our staff
- Meals (4B, 4L, 4D + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- One textile snack bag per person, to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Bio-degradable dishwashing detergents used by our kitchen staff
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Machupicchu entrance fee
- One way bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu on day 4
- Expedition Train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco. Upgrade to Vistadome or Hiram Bingham service, availability upon request.
- Transfer from train station to the hotel in Cusco
El Tour a machu picchu NO INCLUYE:
- First breakfast on day one.
- Lunch on the last day after the guided tour at Machu Picchu
- Walking Sticks
- Sleeping bag: you may rent it from us. Our sleeping bags are -20ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips.